Wednesday 12 September 2012

Peppermint Tea: A Natural Headache Cure


natural headache cure
Every now and then my eight year old, Jada, gets a headache. It usually happens after she’s been reading for a long time, or playing on the computer. She’s far-sighted, but she doesn’t always wear her glasses. I think it probably strains her eyes when she reads, focusing so close to her face for a long period of time, and then she puts the book down and focuses at greater distances.
I’ve tried different natural headache cures to try to relieve her discomfort, with little success. I’ve used lavender essential oils, a heating pad, pressure points, laying her down for a while, putting the glasses on to see if that would help… but nothing really did it. Tylenol was a last resort, and was always the only thing that helped.
But I hate using tylenol. I really wanted a natural headache cure that would really work!
natural headache cure
And then tonight, when Jada complained of her head hurting after reading an entire chapter book in one sitting, I pulled out my herbal books and searched for another remedy.
I came across Peppermint Tea, and I knew I had to try it. I have peppermint growing like crazy, and have yet to put it to good use.
After gathering a handful of the fresh, green leaves (oh how I love the aroma of fresh peppermint leaves), I brought them into the house to wash.

tea for headaches
As I got a pot of water boiling on the stove, I pulled out my special teapot. It’s a Tupperware Blooming Teapot w/ Infuser. And it’s GREAT for brewing loose leaf teas!
After washing the peppermint and picking the leaves from the stem, I crushed them slightly and placed them into the infuser. I used a palm-ful of leaves, probably three tablespoons worth.
I placed the infuser back into the teapot, and poured about two cups of boiling water over the tea leaves. Then I replaced the lid and allowed it to steep for about three minutes.
The smell was amazing.
Jada enjoyed her hot peppermint tea with a little sugar. She contentedly sipped the steamy drink slowly, and by the time she had finished her cup she remarkably better. Not only was her headache gone, but her belly ache from eating too many nuts was also relieved (which, indeed, is another use for peppermint tea).
Success!! A natural headache cure that actually did what it was supposed to do! No tylenol necessary.
I’m sure the effects of peppermint tea vary by person and by the degree of pain the headache is causing, but for my daughter it did the trick. Which made me do a dance.
Have you ever tried peppermint tea as a natural headache cure? Do you have another remedy that you have found to work best?

No comments:

Post a Comment